Summer is the perfect time for getting away, but getaways also impact supply chains across the globe.
Bank holidays across Europe can cause major disruption to the movement of goods.
From limited contact with hauliers to driving bans, routes have to be planned in advance to ensure deliveries are made on time.
To ensure you beat the delays summer shutdown brings – the time to act is now! Planning ahead of time will be your key to success in avoiding any hold-ups to your goods.
The history of it all
The term ‘summer shutdown’ stems back to the Italian festival Ferragosto.
If you visit Italy around the 15th August, you may notice most the shops will be closed – Ferragosto can be thanked for this.
Cities across the country will shut down, with public transport, shops and restaurants closing; Italians typically use the festival as a reason to leave the inner cities and go on holiday.
Summer driving restrictions:
- France: Saturdays 7am-7pm
- Germany: Saturdays 7am-8pm (selected routes)
- Italy: Sundays and public holidays 7am -10pm. Saturdays have bans at different times for each regions (these are published yearly by the Italian Ministry of Transport)
- Switzerland: Sundays and public holidays 6am-12am
- Poland: Fridays and Saturdays 6pm-10pm
- Croatia: Saturdays 4am-2pm
There are some exceptions to the driving restrictions to be mindful of when moving goods:
- vehicles carrying perishable goods or refrigerated products
- vehicles servicing sporting events, trade shows or exhibitions
- other movements that meet a time critical demand
To find out more countries which are affected from driving bans, click here.
Keeping up to date
Due to the driving restrictions, goods can become more difficult to plan to achieve delivery deadlines. Availability may be reduced from the increase in demand of goods and driver shortages.
We pride ourselves on our ability to adapt quickly and provide innovative solutions. Our wide network of trusted suppliers ensure your goods can arrive on time, securely.
Constant communication from your dedicated Account Manager means you’ll always be updated at every step of the journey of the movement of your goods.
Our team of specialists working in Consolidate and Accelerate, our road freight services, are experts in problem-solving and tailoring the right solutions to your needs. From vans to full loads, our express services move your goods across borders without delay.